"Discover a way to end constant power struggles with your defiant, oppositional, "impossible" 5- to 12-year-old, with the help of leading child psychologist Russell A. Barkley. Dr. Barkley's approach is research based, practical, and doable—and leads to lasting behavior change. Vivid, realistic stories illustrate what the techniques look like in action."
I. Getting to Know Your Defiant Child
1. "Is Something Wrong with My Child?"
2. "Why Is This Happening to My Family?"
3. "What Should I Do about It?"
4. Words to Live By: The Foundation of Better Behavior
II. Getting Along with Your Defiant Child
5. Step 1: Pay Attention!
6. Step 2: Start Earning Peace and Cooperation with Praise
7. Step 3: When Praise Is Not Enough, Offer Rewards
8. Step 4: Use Mild Discipline—Time-Out and More
9. Step 5: Use Time-Out with Other Misbehavior
10. Step 6: Think Aloud and Think Ahead—What to Do in Public
11. Step 7: Help the Teacher Help Your Child
12. Step 8: Moving toward a Brighter Future
Your Defiant Teen
"If life with your teen has become a battleground, it's time to take action. This empathic book shows how. Trusted psychologists who have worked with thousands of families give you the tools you need to overcome defiance and get teen behavior back on track."
I. You and Your Defiant Teen
1. What Defiance Is—and What You Should Do about It
2. How Defiance Develops
3. What Does Adolescence Have to Do with It?
4. Is It Just Your Teen's Personality?
5. Where Do You Come In?
6. How to Find a Way Out
II. 10 Steps to a Better Relationship with Your Teen—and a Better Future for Your Teen
7. Getting Ready
8. Step 1. Making Positive One-on-One Time a Habit
9. Step 2. A New Way to Manage Behavior
10. Step 3. Contracts and Point Systems: How Teens Can Earn Privileges
11. Step 4. Making the Punishment Really Fit the Crime
12. Step 5. Tackling Additional Issues with Rewards and Penalties
13. Step 6. Addressing Defiant Behavior in School and Conflicts over Homework
14. Step 7. Using Problem-Solving Skills
15. Step 8. Learning and Practicing Communication Skills
16. Step 9. Dealing with Unreasonable Beliefs and Expectations
17. Step 10. Keeping It Together
Appendix A. Sample Problem-Solving Worksheets
Appendix B. How to Find a Therapist